6 Hour Scroll Course
3 x 2 hour classes (you can choose your own schedule)
- Explanation of the history of Calligraphy (Shodō) and the origins of written Japanese.Lean the origins of Kanji, Hiragana, Katakana. Shodō is a traditional culture with an intimate connection to everyday life.
- Explanation of Shodō tools, sumi ink preparation and how to hold the brush (fude). Calm your mind while preparing sumi ink. As with Zen, this is a time of meditation, to face inwards.
- Learn and practice the basic lines.
Master how to handle the brush as we practice the basics.
It is important to handle the amount of ink, not too much and not too little.
- Let’s write some actual Kanji. With your preferred hand, take the brush and hold it vertically.
With your other hand hold down the paper (washi).
Consider where to place powerful strokes, where to carry the line through, the balance of your work, brush handling, the shade of the ink and the beauty of the layout.
Practice about 20 different Kanji characters. Then focus on the characters you would like to write in your final work.
- Practice a beautiful Japanese saying, such as “花鳥風月” (ka chō fū getsu, flower bird wind moo).
Firstly practice with a basic brush. After this practice, use a special large brush suitable for the thick lines in your work. Let’s write with a calm heart.
- Mounted as a traditional-style scroll it is even more beautiful. Please decorate your home with it and enjoy it for many years to come. Now we can face the challenge of writing a Jōfuku scroll (about 135cm x 35cm)!